Saturday, December 29, 2007

Thing #12-Social Networks

Ning gives you the option to allow only selected members or interest groups to join and participate in your social network, which can be a helpful feature. Since it is not quite as public as Facebook and MySpace, I would feel a little more at ease using Ning. However, even after exploring certain social networks I feel a little uncomfortable putting myself out there for the entire world to see (especially with so many vigilant warnings about identity theft, spyware, etc., etc., etc.). I can understand why college students would use social networks to communicate with friends, but I find it difficult to believe that social networks could effectively be used in schools (especially with younger students) as part of their curriculum.

2 comments:

Midnight said...

I agree with you that it is 'difficult to believe that social networks could effectively be used' in schools. Also, I just don't think they are trustworthy enough to accept the responsibility of exposing other people's children to them.

mmw said...

MySpace and Facebook both have privacy options that users can employ if they want. If you make your profile "private" only your friends can see it.